What signals the arrival of winter in your house – the sound of Christmas music or the sound of sneezing and coughing? When one of my kids starts feeling a little under the weather, I choose from this list to help keep the rest of the family (as well as the patient) comfortable and support our immune systems.
With 4 kids, we deal with plenty of germs and stuffy noses. A strong immune system is the best defense against illness whether someone is well or starting to feel sick.
How to boost immunity in kids (and adults) during flu season
- Give a bath with a half cup of Epsom salts and a couple drops of lavender essential oil. Lavender creates a calming atmosphere that promotes rest.
- Apply essential oils to the skin– peppermint, lemon, or frankincense diluted and rubbed on belly button or spine. Peppermint is invigorating and can help support healthy digestion. Lemon contains the naturally occurring substance d-limonene.
- Drink peppermint or lemon tea with honey (1 drop of Thieves oil optional – it may be too spicy for kids!)
- Diffuse Thieves essential oil throughout the night. Thieves can help maintain a healthy respiratory system.
- Enjoy chicken soup. Grandma was right!
- Stop all sugar during sickness. Sugar is detrimental to healthy immune function. This includes sweet treats as well as cutting back or eliminating juice.
- Drink Ningxia Red. Ningxia Red is a powerful juice blend of antioxidant super foods for wellness support. My kids beg for it – it’s so delicious! One to two ounces is a great daily supplement. You can order Ningxia Red from Young Living.
- Take probiotics. Probiotics are a natural immune booster. We like this gummy probiotic for both adults and children.
- Take elderberry syrup (recipe here)
- Get rest. Adequate sleep is so important to a healthy immune system!
- Train kids to wash hands before eating, after blowing their noses and using the bathroom, and when coming home from school or outside activities.
- Clean germy surfaces (light switches, door knobs, remote controls, countertops) with Thieves all-purpose cleaner
- Wash bedding frequently using hot water if you suspect germs.
Not all essential oils are created equal!
We use a lot of essential oils in our house.
I started with some of the cheaper brands but we did experience a few adverse reactions. My son got a rash from a drop of vetiver and I got a terrible headache after diffusing peppermint. I thought we were just extra sensitive, but now I know it was probably the quality of the oil and not a sensitivity.
Now we use only therapeutic grade essential oils from Young Living. Young Living has the highest standards in the essential oil world. They control the whole production process from Seed to Seal.
Click here to learn more about ordering Young Living essential oils and products like Ningxia Red.