When summer rolls around moms often start hearing the dreaded “I’m bored” by the second day of summer vacation.
My solution to this problem is simple: I read aloud to my kids. Reading aloud is the perfect, no-prep activity for a hot summer afternoon or rainy summer day.
Here are my top 10 reasons to read to your kids this summer.
- Reading is super simple – pick your book and you’re ready to go. No set up (craft projects are fun, but I’m just not a very crafty mom). There’s nothing to clean up. When you’re done, just mark your spot and be on your way.
- Reading aloud can occupy multiple ages. Although little ones might not be able to sit through a very long chapter book, you can read tons of books a book to a wide range of ages. My 3 year old routinely plays (and listens) while I read novels to the bigger kids (ages 7-14).
- Reading helps lengthen attention span and expand vocabulary.
- Reading helps kids exercise their imaginations. Without a screen to supply the images, kids’ own imaginations take off. When you read to your kids, you effectively provide an endless source of inspiration – no more boredom!
- Reading can be done whether you have a lot of energy or a little. Even if you’re sick in bed, you can probably muster the energy for a half an hour of reading. It’s a great way to end a busy day and help kids calm down for bedtime (much better than TV or computers which may make it harder for kids to fall asleep).
- Reading is free! If you’re like me, you probably have plenty of books on your shelves that you haven’t even read yet (or maybe your kids haven’t heard them in a long time). Free books abound on the internet (here are some free Amazon Kindle books). Don’t forget the public library!
- Old favorites can be read over and over.
- Reading during the summer is less pressure than during the school year – kids won’t have to worry about writing a book report or answering questions – just let them enjoy it (although if they want to write later, by all means give them a pencil)!
- Last but not least, reading is so much fun! Reading can take you to faraway places and times, teach you something fascinating or let you get lost in a fairy tale world.
What should we read?
If you want ideas on what to read to your kids this summer, visit my Pinterest Boards, Classic Books for Preschool Boys and Classic Read-alouds for School-age Boys. Everything I’ve pinned there is is a book that I’ve personally read and can enthusiastically recommend.