Is your purse is a magnet for clutter?
Since it’s your lifeline away from home, you probably end up stuffing a lot of things in it when you’re out of the house. I try to keep only the necessities in my purse, but as a mom, that’s still a lot of stuff!
4 easy ways to keep your purse organized.
1. Give your purse a designated place.
We have a huge row of hooks in our laundry room / mud room. If I’m at home, my rule is that my purse is on that hook. I would surely lose my purse if I didn’t put it on that hook every day.
Sometimes I’m tempted to leave it on the counter if I walk in the house with my arms full of things. But I try to remember this one trick that keeps the house cleaner and hang it up right away. Busy moms need helpful habits!
2. Keep everything inside a zipper pouch.
I have 3 different zipper pouches that stay in my purse. Each bag is a different color so it’s easy to grab the right bag when I’m looking for something.
- makeup pouch
- essential oils pouch
- first aid / toiletries pouch (bandaids, nail scissors, tissues, dental floss, Epipen)
When you compartmentalize like this, it’s easy to find what you need without having to dig around in a big mess.
Other ideas for pouches would be:
kids mini busy bag (lots of busy bag ideas here)
technology (headphones, charger)
shopping extras (loyalty cards, receipts, coupons, checkbook, pen)
snacks (here is a list of snacks for when you’re on-the-go)
hair care and accessories
3. A roomy wallet is helpful for all the important papers and cards.
My wallet has yet more compartments for credit and debit cards, cash, library cards, etc. I keep my drivers license clipped to my license and registration. I dread ever getting pulled over, but if it should happen, it’s easy to find the right papers.
4. With all these different compartments, almost nothing is left loose in my purse.
My keys (newly decluttered!) and phone are loose and not surprisingly, those are the two things I’m usually digging around for. I guess I need a better system for them!
Benefits of a compartmentalized purse
The benefits of organizing your purse this way are many.
- Finding what you need is easy.
- You can easily switch out purses just by grabbing your bags and putting them into the new purse. Everything is ready to go in seconds.
- It’s easy to tidy out one section at a time by taking the whole pouch out.
- The bags are just so darn cute! I found mine at Staples, but Target sometimes carries them in the Dollar Section. You can find all kinds of fun options at Amazon (affiliate link)
Now that your purse is organized, you’ve got to maintain that organization.
Every week or so, go through your pockets and pouches and clean out the junk. Get rid of:
- outdated receipts (Unless I might need to return something or it’s a large purchase, I toss receipts immediately. Here’s an easy way to track your purchases)
- gum wrappers
- stray scraps of paper
- expired or melted cosmetics
- the 179 things your kids gave you to “hold on to” and then promptly forgot about
Replenish tissues, snacks, scrap paper, Bandaids, empty essential oil bottles, and such.
Cleaning out and organizing your purse helps you stay on top of your job as mom and be prepared for whatever life sends your way.
Do you have trouble with decluttering? Here’s a mini-course on decluttering that can get you started.
How do you keep your purse organized?