Have you ever been frustrated by the lack of new free movies on Amazon Instant Watch?
Have you ever gotten a RedBox movie and then waited weeks to return it? (true story)
Do you want to watch movies with the entire family but wince at all the profanity?
Affiliate links are present.
If you said yes to any of these questions, you’re going to love VidAngel! VidAngel is a (new-to-me) movie streaming service. It’s got a lot going for it:
- Movies Amazon doesn’t have like Star Wars, Fantastic 4 and Antman
- Since it’s streaming, there are no DVDs to return like Redbox.
- $1 cost per movie ($2 for HD) with sellback
- Block profanity, violence, nudity, etc. with personalized filters. This is especially helpful for families with big and little kids. The big kids always want to watch action movies but there’s some of those scenes are just too graphic for the little ones.
- If you actually want to keep a movie, you can do so without losing out on what you would have paid to rent it.
Here are *some* of the movies you can watch on VidAngel for a couple bucks:
- All 6 previous Star Wars movies
- The Harry Potter movies
- Miracle on 34th Street
- Home Alone
- Rain Man
- Twilight Saga: Eclipse and New Moon
They also have some shows
- House of Cards
- Mad Men
- Game of Thrones
Here’s the nitty gritty of how VidAngel works:
- You buy some credits (I bought $25).
- Then you actually have to buy your movie (mine was $20).
- After you watch it, you “sell” it back to VidAngel and get $18 back in your account (or $19 if you watched an SD movie). Now you have $23 in your account ($25 credit – $2 actual cost of the movie )
- Then you can watch another $20 movie, sell that one back and have $21 in your account.
- Keep going until you want a movie that costs more than you have in your account. VidAngel will charge your card and you can keep going through the buy – watch – sellback cycle.
We still have Netflix, but we only use their streaming plan and mostly for preschool shows.
We stream the movies to my laptop which is plugged into the TV via an HDMI cord. You can also stream directly to a Chromecast, any Android or iOs device, Roku, or AppleTV.
The filtering options clinched the deal for me.
Do you know how hard it is to find a movie suitable for a 4 year old but enjoyable for a teenager? #momof4boys VidAngel’s filtering options have been a lifesaver for us! We used to pick a movie that the big kids wanted to see and the 4 year old ended up watching Curious George on the iPad. Not exactly a recipe for family togetherness.
Now we pick a movie and filter out the profanity, sex and violence. No one even misses the bad language and I feel a lot better not having it pollute anyone’s ears. We have noticed once or twice that an entire scene was skipped (most recently a love scene in a James Bond movie) but again, I’m glad I don’t have to jump for the fast-forward button.
Now when we want to watch a movie, we check a few places:
- Browse the free options on Amazon Prime Instant Watch get a 30 day free trial here
- If we don’t find something to watch there, we check VidAngel.
- If we still haven’t found a choice everyone agrees on, we’ll pick something to rent from Amazon, but these movies are usually $3.99-$5.99. When you watch a few movies a week, this adds up awfully fast.
You can even earn free movies!
The other neat thing about VidAngel is that you can actually earn free credits when you refer your friends. Currently VidAngel is offering a year’s worth of movies for free when 5 of your friends watch a movie. Doesn’t that sound nice?!