I adore lists. They help me feel a little more in control in an otherwise busy and unpredictable household.
One of the first recommendations in a lot of time management programs is to do a brain dump of all the things you’re trying to remember. When you “empty” all those reminders out of your brain onto paper or some other form of list, you free up mental space to actually get some of those important things done.
Here are some of the most helpful household lists you can keep.
- To-do list. Written, on your phone, or printed up and hung on the fridge.
- Kids chore list
- Pre-printed grocery list
- List of goals, long-term and short. Write it down – make it happen
- Calendar (not really a list, but so critical to running a busy household)
- Personal phone directory / address book. I’m slowly migrating mine over to my phone, but I still like having a short list printed out and posted in the kitchen.
- Shopping list (for non-grocery items). This is a place to keep all those random things you want to buy but can’t get at the grocery store. Maybe it’s things you order in bulk online (herbs and spices for me) or things that require a trip to a different store. Write them down when you think of them and you’ll be more efficient with your shopping, whether online or in person.
- Bill paying due dates. When are your utility bills, mortgage, credit cards, and such due? Some pretty forms here, here and here.
- Birthday list for family and friends. I put reminders into Google Calendar so remembering is easy.
- Favorite recipes
- Weekly menu
- Books you want to read or movies you want to see. (I like to keep mine on Pinterest)
- Summer bucket list (inspiration here, here and here).
- Vacation packing list. So you don’t forget all those extra things you tend to miss on vacation.
- Gift ideas. Jot them down now and you’ll be able to give a brilliant gift later.
- Morning or evening routine. Be more efficient by grouping short tasks together.
- Paint color record for the rooms in your home so you can do perfectly matched touch-ups.
- Babysitter instructions
- House preparation before vacation
For lots more list-making inspiration, see my Pinterest board, Helpful Household Lists to Keep.
How about a binder?
Of course you need somewhere to keep all these lists! I keep a lot of them in my pretty paper planner.